Sheila Sanderson

Arts & Humanities Department

Sheila teaches workshops in poetry, creative nonfiction, memoir, and place-based writing. Her creative writing workshops emphasize generating work through reading and writing exercises, and honing technique through giving and receiving thoughtful feedback. She also teaches courses in American and world literature, film and literature, and editing, and she often mentors independent studies in sense of place and travel writing. Sheila’s rural Kentucky background has given her a strong sense of place, community, and history, as well as a love for stories. “Stories are why I often keep long office hours, strike up conversations with strangers, and travel to out-of-the-way places. One of my greatest joys is helping student writers find their voices and tell their stories. I am at Prescott College because its philosophy validates my own process of learning and my style of teaching: here I am encouraged to experiment and to cross disciplines, but most importantly, to spend time really working with students.”

Sheila has published two poetry collections, Ok by Me and Keeping Even (Stephen F. Austin University Press/Texas A&M University Press Consortium). Her poems have appeared in journals such as Alaska Quarterly Review, Crazyhorse, Miramar, North American Review, Nimrod, and Spillway. They have also been included in anthologies such as Language Lessons (Third Man Press); One for the Money: The Sentence as Poetic Form (Lynx House Press); and Poets of the West and West Coast (Southern Poetry Review). Her prose has appeared in journals such as Arts & Letters, Big Muddy, and Room.

Sheila serves as editor for Alligator Juniper, Prescott College’s national literary journal, which has won three awards for content from Association of Writers and Writing Programs. Pieces originally published in the journal have been included in award-winning collections as well as reprinted in anthologies such as Best of the West and Verse Daily. Students in the editing course, Literary Journal Practicum, serve as the staff for this journal, gaining invaluable experience in the field of publishing as well as honing the critical skills so essential to a writer.