Social and Ecological Literacy

Over the past 40 years, I have assisted adults and children from all cultures, many with mental and physical disabilities, develop successful relationships with their dogs. I have coached, mentored, and hired young people who would have made poor life choices if it hadn't been for the love of animals. I have watched young people who were addicted, abused, or incarcerated become productive, healthy members of society thanks to the animals they cared for, trained, or rescued. I have rescued thousands of animals and placed them with people who also needed rescuing.

In meeting this need as an educator and trainer, I teach the ecological impact of pet ownership. Feeding our pets organically produced, meat by-product food, applying proper waste removal practices, and adopting from local shelters are all ways to lighten the ecological “paw print” left by our four-legged companions and their owners. I feel the positive impact of pet ownership, on our environment, outweighs the negative. Pet ownership makes people more aware of the environment they share with their four-legged companions. I also teach dog owners proper etiquette and respect for the environment shared by all. I also teach respect and kindness towards all animals, humans, and nature.  

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.

Chief Seattle