Work Experience

I was born on a cattle ranch in Northern Nevada in 1957. Even as a small child, my mental health depended on interactions with animals. The animals were my friends and playmates. I worked for my father on the ranch when I wasn’t going to school. In 1975 I graduated high school and started college. I took a part time at the Agricultural Extension Service. My position was secretary to the livestock extension agent, which included helping with the 4-H program. In 1976, I developed a 4-H dog program. It was my responsibility, among other things, to teach obedience classes to the 4-H’ers, put on the 4-H dog show, and help them with their record books. I showed and trained dogs so this was the perfect position for me. In 1976, I began teaching obedience classes to the general public as well as the 4-H. Many people need help developing relationships with their dogs. The classes I taught, and still teach, meet once a week for eight weeks. I usually have four to six classes going at once. I limit participation in each class to fifteen if I have an assistant. We meet year round. I have continued this pace for the last 40 years.

In 1976, I began helping a friend, Judy Becker, who was the Director for DCFS (Division Child and Family Services) and fellow dog show participant, work with troubled kids who were in their system. If they didn’t have dogs of their own, we paired the children from DCFS with our show dogs. We taught them obedience and animal skills. They worked with the dogs until they felt confident, and then we helped them put on a program, similar to a mini dog show, for our local geriatric and rehabilitation center. The children became confident and happy and were able to forget their family problems for a few hours each week.

In 1987, I opened Brebeau Kennels, a large boarding, grooming, and training facility. We boarded, groomed, and trained animals of all types. I continued doing obedience classes for the 4-H, troubled children, and the general public. Our business was a huge success and I employed approximately eighteen full, and part time employees. I groomed full time and trained other groomers. We employed eight groomers. At full capacity, we could board up to 150 dogs and 50 cats. We also boarded birds, ferrets, reptiles, and horses. I also continued to show dogs and horses. I did a lot of community service programs, educating children and adults on proper nutrition, grooming, and training of their pets.

I began to do rescue work on a large scale. We saved thousands of animals from death and presented the rescue animals to people who also needed saving. The young people who worked for me helped socialize, train, groom, and care for the rescue animals. We would go to the shelter and see what animals were going to be put down and take them back to the kennel and adopt them out. We also took pets when people became ill, moved, or died. In 1991, we took in 67 dogs from an abandoned puppy mill. We eventually found homes for them all. We also played a huge part in the rescue of over 100 cats from a hoarding situation. The hoarding situation was very sad. We were only able to save six cats. The rest were diseased, feral, or starved.

I also hired at-risk and troubled youth at the kennel. I hired some from our local youth Drug Court, my 4-H group, and from DCFS. I also partnered with JOIN, Job Opportunities in Nevada, an organization which helps people in need find jobs including at-risk and young people suffering from disabilities. I mentored and coached the young people I hired. I taught them marketable job skills, helped them develop a good work ethic, and became the adult authority figure some never had. The young people working for me learned to clean runs, handle animals, give medications, groom, and train. They also learned how to deal with the public and be responsible for money. Some continued to work for me until I sold the kennel in 2010.

In 1988, I became licensed to judge Australian Shepherds for ASCA, The Australian Shepherd Club of America. I have judged all over the United States and Germany. I am licensed to judge obedience, conformation, and junior showmanship. After I judged in Germany, a young German girl apprenticed with me for six months. I taught her to groom and show dogs and horses.

In 2013, I receive an award for meritorious service, presented by the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, for more than 35 years of service helping young people and 4-H’ers.

I sold the kennel after twenty-three years, but continue to do obedience classes and work with young people. The demands of a 24/7 business, having eighteen employees, and taking care of people’s beloved pets, is a huge responsibility. The kennel was my life for many years and I loved every minute of it. I would not have time to finish my degree through Prescott College if I still owned the kennel. I am also enjoying some much needed time with my four-legged friends and family.