Iowa Sustainable Business Alliance Internship

Course Reflection

I had many educational opportunities during my internship with the Iowa Sustainable Business Alliance (ISBA) including: Inter-organizational networking, reading the bookEmbedded Sustainability, researching and expanding programs, attending educational courses on “Non-profits” and “Planning,” attending community events, and creating a “Guide to Sustainable Business.” Looking back I realize the benefits of pursuing strategic action and right order of operation.

Initially, I thought the options for action would be plentiful and immediately needed. This was my first lesson:  how to get creative in researching, exploring, and determining goals and objectives that suite the needs of ISBA and challenge myself to learn how to carry out these actions and their need. Nearing the completion of the internship, I have assisted and witnessed processes’ evolution from beginning to end and helped their continuation. I have learned so much about the importance of communication within and between organizations, as well as with individuals. The most useful outcome is knowing how to form questions, give answers and information for conciseness and compassion. Also, I have gained very practical experience when I did event coordinating and planning, the conducting of board meetings, media outreach, and more. The most significant outcome came from being forced to diversify my skills and knowledge to achieve the desired result. Simultaneously, I have kept a balance of practical experience with the theory that helps guide actions which results in best practice.

I have researched Iowan and National advocacy resources for information and events that pertain to the ISBA and efforts for sustainable business development. On the website, I have provided links and descriptions for grants, programs, and petitions in support for renewable energy installation, sustainable Ag development programs, Health Care, more. The significance for me has been the synthesis of a framework for processing information, realizing the significance for the audience we are reaching, and maximizing clarity and benefits. I am blessed to have the chance to absorb a great deal of knowledge from personal mentoring and attending courses held from John Matthews and others. This has had immense relevance for the whole process of planning. The result has amplified my preparedness, confidence, and professionalism in organizational planning strategies for communication and development sustainability in communities and business. The ISBA has been a great vehicle of exploration in the network landscape of institutions and organizations dedicated to responsibility in the market, environment, society and government.

This internship, I have to come to see, has been a very assimilable learning process: by balancing practical experience with theory. I feel I will retain much of this knowledge as compared to learning in classrooms. The knowledge I have gained is very applicable for my future career opportunities, be it: networking with organizations, hiring or being hired by a business, planning within business, communication, research, etc.. I have many more tools and know how to better use the them in daily operations. I can better determine what strategic action to take and in what order of operation. The beauty of our sustainable strategies has been the most positive approach to environmental restoration, social revitalization, and simultaneous economic marketability. It is a win-win situation and am elated to be a part of this rapidly progressing movement.