While studying in Brazil, I searched for local goldsmiths who were incorporating sustainable concepts within their work. With my Portuguese still at a beginner's level I did run into minor communication difficulties; however, I did manage to meet a few jewelers. The two "ourives" or goldsmiths I was most inspired by were Ricardo Coacci and Kika Alvarenga's. Ricardo works from recycled wood and applies similar techniques used by the famous Brazilian sculpture, Aleijadinho, during the baroque period (1730 - 1814). Ricardo was extremely welcoming and invited me to visit his home/studio. He explained and shared with me the techniques and challenges he faces in his work. Kika Alvarenga also invited me to her atelier to show me her work. Kika works from all local materials and from a "gambiarra" perspective. In Brazil, "gambiarra" refers to making do or improvisation. Kika was a pleasure to meet and her work is extremely moving. While searching for local jewelers, I also meet Tereza Pavarini who makes jewelry more for a hobby. She was gracious enough to allow me to work with her from her home studio once a week. This was an amazing opportunity for me, which allowed me to not only practice my jewelry making skills, but me Portuguese as well. 

Ricardo Coacci explaining his work to me.

http://ricardocoaccijoias.blogspot.com/