Personal Learning Statement as of 11/17/2010

My ultimate goal is to work with girls, to teach them to trust within themselves to offer themselves a happy and healthy quality of life.  Yes, outside support and life situations are aspects that can affect a girl’s happiness, but it is up to the individual to be conscious of the life that she creates.  Sometime in early adolescents us girls, growing up in society get derailed, losing the self-confident spontaneous risk-taker part of self.  I aspire to keep these girls on track.  Through my own experience of growing up in Western Culture, trying to figure out “how to do this thing called life”, I have learned a thing or two about finding fulfillment, meaning, and self-worth.  I feel strongly that with my learned knowledge from being an introspective proactive human being combined with a higher education, learning the psychological, biological, and other underlying factors that play a defining role in each girls development will best offer me the ability to help these girls become well-rounded active members of their community and society on a larger scale.  The more I learn the more I can give, and that is what I am doing here, as a student at Prescott College. 

I consider this to be my first step towards fulfilling the goal of higher knowledge of how better to help girls. As I grow older I become a more engaged and enthralled student.  Given that I am self-motivated and driven and feel that I could thrive in most any school structure, but I appreciate the format that Prescott College offers and may be the best way to fulfill my vision.  This structure of self-directed education in itself is an education in trust.  By fully trusting myself to make the decisions that best suit me, to seek out mentors that will aid in my set goals and the willingness to take risks, are built into this education.  This takes courage, and I am feeling the pressure.  I am quite focused and confident in where I intend to be once out of school, but what steps do I take today?  My main focus is creating a path that starts today and travels through to my senior project.  I chose Prescott for this particular reason by allowing myself to produce my education I am able to even better trust my abilities which will carry over into my work.  When I urge girls to trust themselves, they will not be vacant words without any meaning or backing to them.  I used to believe that I was irreversibly broken, in the depths of depression from my late teens through early twenties I felt hopeless yet determined to be okay with myself.  I succeeded in finding my way out of that confusion, and as the years have passed since, I have become more understanding, more compassionate; this education is my next step.     

As I work on and create my evolving degree plan, I carry many emotions, excitement, enthusiasm, confusion, fear, and at times dread.  I want to see my path to graduation clearly, to make sense of it all.  I am working to balance my personal goals and desires with my professional aspirations in a way that will prepare me for graduate school by creating courses that will accommodate the pre-requisites necessary for admittance to grad school.  It is the dance between all aspects of who I am, ranging from the freethinker to the structured thinker, often creating an over-thinker. I have learned that over thinking can be a disservice, so finding this balance is coming with diligence and trust, a type of working on and letting go and seeing what happens.  Today, I don’t know the person I will be on graduation day.  I will have learned much and be forever changed, and that is all I am certain of at this point.