Personal Learning Statement as of 03/16/2012

My desire to help girls thrive has not faltered in my years at Prescott College.  My pursuit of understanding, to the best of my ability, in how to do so has evolved allowing a deeper and directed look at how to reach these girls.  Rooted in voice, the silencing of females within Western society, girls begin to struggle between the desire to continue to be themselves and the desire to be socially acceptable.  This is the source where I believe all other psychological issues of inferiority and identity confusion begin and it is from this place where I want to begin my work with developing girls. With this focus it is possible to expand outward in many ways to reach many people. 

Through art, creation of unique ideas and expression can be practiced by each girl to more fully understand who she is.  It is not what a teacher tells her she is.  Nor is it a parent or me.  Each individual human (of any gender) is the only one who can truly know what is best for her or him.  With the use of tools as guidance, such as working with integrity, and honest listening to self, healthy choices can become the norm.  Practiced risk-taking, by a girl speaking her mind (using her voice) is the way to remain self-intact.

I am continually learning what all of this information that have come to understand truly means.  I am also gaining more insight as I read more, talk to peers, and mentors, and teach middle school girls in my art and leadership program.  I practice using my voice and having it heard, so I can better reveal to myself who I am and so I can better support girls in their endeavors.

As my years at Prescott College come to a close, I am grateful to have had the opportunity to find out what I have so far and continue to be inspired by this work.   I also have an expanded, yet focused vision of what I am currently doing and what I want to do.  Each girl has the ability to direct her own life.  And through this, each girl has the potential to change the social fabric where we currently reside.  I am an advocate for girls and women.  I am also an advocate for boys and men.  We all have the right to be our best and to find out what that means for ourselves.  I support humanity and am continually becoming a larger part of the change that is occurring.  Humanity is waking up and I am happy to be serving in this process.